The Assam State Archives has a rich and ever growing library. It has more than 29,000 books, reports and publications most of which are rare and out of
print now. This has some of the oldest and rare publications on a variety of subjects, besides contemporary published material. The publications are related to
Government of Assam and all are of archival values. All these books serve as resource materials to the research scholars. Most of the books are
Government Publication, Reports, Monographs, Gazettes and District Gazettes, Acts, Maps, Historical books, Civil list, History of Services, Assembly Debates,
Gazetteers etc. which provide the research scholars authentic data for reference.
All books and reports are thematically arranged in the library. The Directorate has also computerized the library books in the "KOHA" software and bar coded the all books. The Archival Library provides computerized Library catalogue to the research scholars.
Some Holdings of The Library
- Legislative Council/Assembly/Parliamentary Debates: (1921-1966)
- Civil Lists: (1877-1966)
- History Of Services: (1879-1951)
- Administration Reports: (1874-1964)
- Census Reports: (1881-1971)
- Tea, Industry and Commerce Reports/Books: (1888-1952)
- Gazetteers: (1879-1942)
- Health/Medical Report: (1894-1952)
- Acts/ Rules & Orders Of Different Departments: (1868-1965)
- Historical Books:
Some Old & Rare Books
- Earthquake Reports of Assam (1897).
- Quetta Earthquake Reports (1935).
- Captain Welsh's Expedition to Assam in 1792, 1793, 1794.
- Captain Jenkin's Journals of Upper Assam from 20th Feb. 1838.
- Political Diaries of the Agent to the Governor-General.
- Tour diaries of the Deputy Commissioner of Naga Hills 1870-1872.
- Selection of the papers regarding the hill tracts between Assam and Burma and on the Upper Brahmaputra (1873).
- Military reports on the Brahmaputra river system (1914).
- Round Table Conference, proceedings of sub-committees (1930 to 1932), etc.