The Assam State Archives has a valuable collection of the official records/files. The Directorate has done the cataloguing the files in AIMS Software. The collections
include the Board of Revenue files (1774-1824); Bengal Government files (1788- 1874); Dacca Commissioner files (1867-1874); Manuscript Volumes (1823-1874);
Chief Minister Secretariat(1943-1992); Chief Commissioners files (1874-1921); Proceedings(1874-1939); Assam Commissioners files (1833-1907); Home Confidential
files (1888-1971); Departmental files (1874-1957) etc.
Details about the holdings:
- Manuscripts and Files (1774-1874)
1.a) Manuscripts Volumes (1826-1874) [8 series records from 1823 to 1874 relating to correspondence between Agent to the Governor General and Govt. of
Bengal/ District officers, etc.]
1.b) Transferred files of Bengal-Manuscripts and files (1774-1874)
- Bengal Government Files(1788-1878)
- Dacca Commissioner's Files(1824-1862)
- Board of Revenue, Govt. of Bengal Files(1774-1789)
- Goalpara Papers (1867-1874)
2. Records of Chief Commissioner of Assam (1874-1905)
3. Records of Eastern Bengal & Assam (1905-1912)
4. Records of Chief Commissioner of Assam (1912-1920)
5. Records of Governor's Province (1921-1947)
6. Records of Provincial Governments (1937-1947)
- Proceedings (1874-1939)-(Printed files)
- Proceedings (Chief Commissioner of Assam, Eastern Bengal and Assam, Commissioner, Assam Valley).
- Other Records (1826-1957)
- Governor Secretariat files (1942- 1945).
- Governor Secretariat (confidential) files (1921-1950).
- Chief Minister's Secretariat (1947-1957).
- Political History of Assam's files (1826-1947).
- Confidential and Home (Conf) files (1888-1971).
- Police (SB) (1935-1947).
- Commissioner, Assam Valley (1874-1933).
- Gazetteers- Imperial, India, Assam, Provincial and Districts.
- Assam (1874-1992)
- India (1860-1969)
- Calcutta (1843-1958)
- Reports - Administrative, Census, Journals of Asiatic Society, etc
- Assam Secretariat Records (1874-1957)
- 1874-1905: General Department including native records, Judicial, and Revenue files.
- 1905-1912: General Department (including PWD, Medical, LSG, etc.), Political & Judicial Department, Revenue Department, Finance & Municipal Department, etc.
- 1912-1921: General Department (including Public Service, Education, PWD, etc); Appointment & Political Department, Education Department, Passport Department, etc.
- 1921-1937: Transferred Department, Finance Deptt, Revenue Department, Judicial Department, Forest Department, Industries Department, Agriculture Department, etc.
- 1937-47: Home Department, Judicial & General Department, Finance Department, Appointment Department, LSG Deptt, Legislative, etc.
- 1920-32 and 1936-41: List of Passport File.
- Department wise Illustrative List updated
- Agriculture (1930-1957)
- Appellate (1920-1929)
- Appointment (1920-1959)
- Appointment and Political (1912-1935)
- Assam Commissioner (1833-1919)
- Board of Revenue(Eastern Bengal And Assam) (1908-1912)
- Budget ((1942-1962)) new
- Chief Minister Secretariat (1943-1984)
- Civil Defence (1942-1947)
- Criminal (1920-1944)
- Education (1920-1957)
- Excise ((1942-1967)) new
- Files Received from Jorhat Deputy Commissioner office (1838-1969)
- Finance (1920-1957)
- Forest (1933-1967)
- General (1920-1935)
- General Administration (1926-1933)
- General And Judicial (1921-1935)
- Home (1936-1939)
- Home Confidential ((1924-1980)) new
- Legal Remembrance (1922-1935)
- Legislative (1921-1957)
- Local Self Government (1934-1934)
- Medical (1929-1957)
- Miscellaneous (1920-1936)
- Planning and Development (1942-1964)
- Political (1920-1935)
- PWD (1920-1934)
- Relief and Rehabilitation (1943-1967)
- Revenue (1920-1957)
- Rural Development ((1935-1960)) new
- Steering Committee (1947-1959)
- Textile (1946-1964)
- Transport (1932-1958)
- Tribal Areas (1948-1961)
- Wards (1921-1939)